Mailing List Archive

Support open source code!

Problems with Japanese email

Now that I finally really _need_ a Japanese-capable email client, I've
run into a couple of problems.

First, the /pub/pinej directory at ftp.tlug.gr.jp is empty.

Is pine-jp available anywhere else?

Secondly, although I have wnn4 installed and working, xemacs (21.1.10a)
doesn't seem to like it:

$ ./configure --with-mule --with-wnn:

(...)
checking for jl_dic_list_e in -lwnn... no
checking for jl_dic_list_e in -lwnn4... no
checking for jl_dic_list_e in -lwnn6... no
checking for dic_list_e in -lwnn6_fromsrc... no
(...)
  Compiling in Mule (multi-lingual) support.
  Compiling in XIM (X11R5+ I18N input method) support.
    Using raw Xlib to provide XIM support.
(...)

$ whereis libwnn
libwnn: /usr/local/lib/libwnn.a /usr/local/lib/libwnn.so

Wnn installation is at /usr/local/lib/wnn, headers at
/usr/local/include/wnn, so there shouldn't be any problem there.

When trying to force xemacs to be compiled with wnn (by editing config.h),
compile fails, as I expected.

Needless to say, perhaps, that if I compile xemacs without wnn support, it
won't offer any japanese input methods (except for skk, but I don't have
Canna installed).

As configuring mutt for my system seems a real PITA and I haven't gotten
it to work as I need it to, the only way left is to write the e-mails with
jvim and then pasting the text into regular Pine. This means I have to
meddle with the Content-Type header setting every time I want to send
something in Japanese (I need iso-8859-1 as well as iso-2022-jp). Having
two separate pine binaries using separate configuration files would be
much more bearable (I could, for example, make a procmail rule that would
copy all iso-2022-jp messages to a separate folder.)

Another thing. I need a web browser with support for Japanese input. Any
suggestions? Anyone done this with Japanese Netscape 6?

TIA

--
            Tapio Peltonen <tappel@example.com>
         [http://www.jyu.fi/cgi-bin/finger?macky@example.com]