Mailing List Archive

Support open source code!

Re: ethner card problem

On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Jonathan Q wrote:

> Christopher Sekiya (wileyc@example.com) wrote:
>
> Christopher> I have had _so_ much Corega gear die on me ... their FastSW-II gear seems
>
> We use Corega fast ether switches for office use, and have had good
> results, too, but yeah - YMMV on their other stuff.  Much better than
> Planet (now Planex, or often abbreviated to PCI), though.  Now that stuff
> is real crap.  We have an informal rule against plugging any of it
> into the network.  There used to be some back in the lean times; a lot
> of it failed, the rest was replaced and tossed.

Most of my experience with switches has been with Linksys, Cisco, and HP -
Linksys is crap, but Cisco and HP stuff, while pricey, are VERY nice.  The
HPs cost less and are arguably a little bit better, actually.. we've got
four Procurve 4000Ms here.  hot-swappable blades.. they'll even do gigabit
over CAT5 copper (and also over fiber..)  $1500-$1800 USD will get you the
4000M chassis with 5 8-port 10/100 blades (total of 40 ports).  They have
10 slots.