Mailing List Archive

Support open source code!

Re: Apache rotate log config option is where?

Jc,

Log rotation is generally handled by a script called from cron
which renames the existing log file, then sends a signal (USR1 for
Apache) to the main process which tells it to close and reopen
its log files.

USR1 does a "gracefull" restart, which allows child processes to
complete processing of outstanding requests before restarting.
This is normally what you want, as it prevents disruption to
existing clients on a busy website.

It sounds like you are having some trouble with outstanding
connections, but this is likely unconnected to the log rolling.
If these are CGIs, then there may be some coding problems.
More likely, the clients are downloading large files over
slow links. If the connection has been lost or abandoned,
then the httpd's will stick around until they time out.

You might look at your Apache logs to see what the server
usage pattern is normally. Or you could look at the output
of netstat to see what clients are connected.

Regards,
Jake