Mailing List Archive

Support open source code!

tlug: US Postal uses Linux

Hi,
at the ATIP talk I couldn't really name a killer installation using
Linux.  I recently found this article on the United States Postal
Service deploying 900 systems of 5 Linux computers, for about 4,500
Linux boxes.  The story is here
http://members.aa.net/~jtaves/linux.htm

I thought that it was a fairly significant installation.

-- Craig

Here's a quote of the day.

Nicholas Petreley, editor-in-chief of NC World and columnist for
InfoWorld and NT World Japan provides an explanation for the rise of
Linux and FreeBSD in IT departments:

"For example, are you sure that's an NT server you're connecting to at
work? IS employees in many corporations have secretly installed UNIX
servers that provide native NT services. Why take such a
risk? Linux and FreeBSD are free, as is SAMBA, the software that provides
NT services. So the IS department saves money. And managers are unlikely
to find out UNIX is behind the scenes because fewer people will complain
about server downtime.

"Fewer people will complain because the servers are more stable than
Windows NT. Linux, FreeBSD, and BSDI UNIX outperform Windows NT by a
wide margin on limited hardware, and under some circumstances can perform
as well or better than NT on the best hardware. Once behind in scalability
features, UNIX on Intel is catching up and may soon surpass NT in the number
of processors it can use, and how it uses them

----
Craig Oda   craigoda@example.com   http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craig

Home | Main Index | Thread Index