Mailing List Archive

Support open source code!

Re: tlug: Ugly fonts in Communicator mail

    Jim> On Sep 16, 12:25pm, "Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote: } Subject:
    Jim> tlug: Ugly fonts in Communicator mail
    >>> TurboLinux Pro provides the Ryobi TrueType fonts.  In order to
    >>> use them with Netscape, you need either a TrueType or VFlib X
    >>> server or X font server.  In the installation I have now, the
    >>> Ryobi fonts don't show up in xfontsel; I don't know why.  You
    >>> may have to install a separate X server or xfs with those
    >>> features enabled.

    Jim> Um, pardo nmy (probable) ignorance here, but doesn't xfontsel
    Jim> stick just to what is coming out of the plain old X server?
    Jim> Does it ever show ttfs from things like VFlib?

You're pardoned for ignorance.  I wasted not only my youth but half my
middle age and I still don't know very much about X (^^;;;;  As far as
I can tell, you have the right idea, you just haven't updated your
idea of what's available in hacked X servers these days.

xfontsel will show you anything the X server can display.  This means
that if the server can display VF, it will show you those; if it can
do TT, it will show you those; and it doesn't matter whether the X
server does it itself, or gets the fonts from an xfs.  Both of those
extensions are (AFAIK) available both on the server itself and via xfs.

I haven't really played with my TL installation much, and I'm not a
phont-phreak so I am happy enough with the good old JIS bitmap fonts.
So I use method 2 (don't let the server scale bitmaps) and haven't
explored the Ryobi fonts (which are very nice in Ghostscript, I must
say).  So I didn't know what a properly configured TL system could do.

Evidently from Scott's comments, the X servers and xfs on TL don't do
VFlib or TT yet (as of 2.x).  So you can't use them from xfontsel (or
from Netscab).

BTW---go ahead and install TL-2.  Make Scott's day.  ;-)

--
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091