Mailing List Archive

Support open source code!

Re: restoring text mode after x server crash

Thomas O'Dowd wrote:

> If I understand correctly what you want then try:
>
> # kbd_mode -a
>
> Never had to use it in the last two years or so.

Well I sometimes have to unraw the keyboard too, but that's not
what I meant ^_^
The thing is, the screen is left in GFX Mode, but the X-Server
is gone so I can't see what I type (-_-;

> > This seems to happen a lot with the nv driver since apt-get updated
> > to xfree-4.1. ... *sigh*
>
> Have you tried using the NVidia driver from their web site?

Yes, but that is a really evil Windows driver port (tm).
So I use it only if I need 3D and xvideo extensions.

And by the way that one likes to lock up my machine, leave the overlay
on in text mode and locks interrupts for too long on startup...

If already been thinking of switching to a different (non-nvidia) GFX
card because of that. Maybe an ATI would be good. At least they get
the video overlay stuff right.
(The Video Overlay of my riva tnt is really crappy, even though I think
they partly fixed it on the tnt2 and broke it again on the geforce ^^;)

I don't usually need 3D except for playing Unreal Tournament on LAN parties,
but I need the video overlay for watching avis quite often...

--
Tobias							     PGP-Key: 0x9AC7E0BC
echo ${SIGNATURE}

Home | Main Index | Thread Index