Mailing List Archive

Support open source code!

Re: [tlug] Introduction and first query

水曜日 06 2月 2002 23:44、Charles Muller さんは書きました:
> Greetings,
>
> I am new to this list, and brand new to Linux, having just installed
> Mandrake. Some of you may be familiar with my on-line CJK dictionaries
> at www.acmuller.net.
>
> I am looking to shift my work from Windows over to Linux as much as
> possible, tho it will take some time, since my dictionary development
> project has been ever-increasingly dependent on an elaborate set of Word
>   macros that I have developed over the years. But my distaste for That
> Company is encouraging me to switch.
>
> My first basic question: Are there any Japanese (or even Chinese) IMEs
> available that can be set up and used in an English Linux environment? I
> am aware that I can use Emacs with MULE (haven't figured it out yet),
> but eventually there will be a need for an IME that can be used on
> various applications.
>
> I have always used Japanese versions of MS Windows, and could probably
> do the same with Linux eventually, but I think that at the beginning I
> need to stay with English Linux until I get the feel for it.

KDE as a whole has great support for Japanese, and is a modern, advanced
desktop environment (http://kde.org, should come installed on any linux
distro by default, and is default on Mandrake).

I wrote a tutorial on getting Japanese input working in KDE that is at

http://katzbrown.com/japanese.html

for viewing.

If you need more help, feel free to email me.

Cheers,
Jason

Home | Main Index | Thread Index