Mailing List Archive

[tlug] More on non-operational USB mouse in Debian 3.0r1

The latest in my mouse saga.

I booted up a Knoppix CD (Jan. 1, 2003 build) on that system, and the mouse
worked fine.  Being based on Debian (unstable), this seemed a useful test
to make.

Knoppiz and Woody both see the USB controllers, the keyboard, and the
mouse.  According to lsmod, hey are both loading keybdev, mousedev, hid,
usbkbd, usbmouse, input, usb-uchi, usbcore.  Input grabs [keybdev mousedev
hid usbkbd usbmouse] and usbcore grabs [hid usbkbd usbmouse usb-uhci].
The only difference seems to be the order in which these appear on the
Knoppix and Woody outputs of lsmod.

Back on Woody, I tried restarting hotplug, and found a couple of
interesting things in its output:

- Once, while starting up, modprobe reports it cannot locate the modules
for hid, usbkbd, input, usbcore, usb-uhci, and usbmouse.  Next, the modules
all get loaded (by hotplug, I believe).

- After that, it is once reported that device 0xc503 (the mouse) is not
claimed by any active driver.  Then, the mouse and keyboard are both
recognized and registered.  The keyboard works fine, the mouse still
doesn't.  I need to dig further into the relationship between modprobe and
hotplug.  If anybody has any quick fixes, please throw them my way :-)

Googling for 0xc503 not claimed produces zero results, so this is
apparently not a terribly common thing :-P

TIA,

Jonathan "Maybe I should just install Sarge or Sid instead" Q

Home | Main Index | Thread Index