Mailing List Archive

RE: [tlug] Redhat

Quoth "James Cluff" <jc@example.com>:

> Thanks for your opinions.  I guess we have to wait and see.  I
> use to believe in Breen's law, and most of my friends did too,
> but I think it is old school or at least Redhat wants us to
> think that by not releasing 8.# 9.# or probably even 10.#
> versions.

I think it is the latter: Red Hat wants us to *believe* that
Breen's Law(TM)[1] is deprecated, when it still applies very much.
Let's use a little logic to part the veils:

Red Hat 8 => Red Hat 8.0
Red Hat 9 => Red Hat 8.1

Red Hat 8, as most of us on this list found, was complete and
utter shite (see list archives for proof). Red Hat 9 (really
Red Hat 8.1, see above), like all of the x.1 releases before it,
fixed most of the problems with the x.0 release, and is halfway
decent.

Here is an interesting thing to try on your Red Hat 8 or 9
system:

rpm -q redhat-release

On all of the RH9 machines here at work, the output is:

redhat-release-9-3

What is that minor number doing there?

-Josh

[1] Used here without the author's permission

Home | Main Index | Thread Index