Mailing List Archive

Re: [tlug] Synaptic 17,316 Packages (OT Cheers)

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>But by then you're basically set up and you want to add a new
>capability, ie, you know what you're looking for.  Lyle wants to
>browse, and I'd recommend aptitude (not a GUI front end!) for that.
>
>dselect maybe is better now, but it used to be really bad, both as a
>UI and as a package manager.  It was extremely fascist about enforcing
>dependencies and tended to get itself wedged in cycles.  apt (and
>aptitude) is much easier to reason with than the dselect I knew.

Thanks Steve.  In the new light of a sunny day, I extend friendly
greetings in your direction and promise to say what I think about a
certain company between the lines and not in them - which should prevent
some fires!

Cheers!

Lyle

Home | Main Index | Thread Index