Mailing List Archive

Re: [tlug] WiFi considerations

On Monday 09 July 2007 10:55, Godwin Stewart wrote:
>So, are there Linux-based tools that work with WPA or WPA2?

Yes, but getting them to run and interact with the hardware correctly is
not always trivial. A program called "Network Manager" has been
recommended to me by different people, and it is included in the Linux
distributions i've checked (if not in the default install, then as
something easy to add later).

>Secondly, the radio frequencies. From what I've read, WiFi operates in
>the 2.4GHz range.
>However, I've seen that some WiFi hardware can operate in the 5GHz
>range. Has anyone here had to do that?

Which frequencies WiFi uses depends on which WiFi standard your network
operates on. 802.11b and 802.11g use 2.4 GHz, while 802.11a uses 5 GHz.
The new 802.11n can operate on either. 802.11b and 802.11g equipment is
what i've encountered the most. (The main significant difference
between the two is speed: 802.11g is roughly 5 times faster than
802.11b.) Here's an article that has a table showing which standard
uses which frequency:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/802.11

Both at work and at home i have access to 802.11g networks. I've not
personally experienced interference problems. At home i have a
microwave and 2.4 GHz cordless phone. I also occasionally use a
Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. I've tried running the phone, the
microwave, and doing a file transfer over wireless simultaneously
without problems. Even when i put my laptop on top of the microwave
i've not experienced problems. I've also tried talking on the phone
while using the bluetooth mouse and keyboard and wireless network
without problems. However... interference is one area where your
mileage definitely will vary. From anecdotes i've read, i think i'm
just lucky.

>The idea is to be able to disconnect the laptop from the ethernet
>switch, shove a PCMCIA WiFi adapter in it and take it upstairs. Am I
>right in assuming that it's simply a case of stuffing one end of a
> CAT5 in the WAP and the other in my ethernet switch for the wireless
> segment of the network to be grafted onto the rest of the LAN, or
> will it require installing a WiFi NIC in the NAT/FW PC and adjusting
> routing tables accordingly?

Either plan of yours will work. My network is similarly structured to
yours (and i expect many home networks are). I have a separate access
point plugged into the ethernet switch and have not had any problems
stemming from the basic setup. If you don't want to spend a lot of time
futzing with configuration, i recommend going that route. You'll still
have to configure the base station. Most stations come in an
insecure-by-default configuration, but it is usually not difficult to
turn on WPA, MAC filtering, or whatever other security the device
offers and you choose to enable. If you have an OS X machine on which
to run the configuration software, i recommend Apple's Airport Express
base station. It is not the cheapest, but it works well.

>Fourthly, Linux hardware compatibility. How good is it nowadays?

That's still the hard part. Each chipset seems to be supported
differently. Very few have fully open source drivers. To determine if a
specific product works easily under Linux, remember that Google is your
friend.