Mailing List Archive

Re: [tlug] WiFi considerations

On 11/07/07, David Santinoli <marauder@example.com> wrote:

However, data encryption - in your case implemented at the application
layer - is only one aspect of security here.  Another one, not less
important, is authentication: after the wardriver-of-the-day succeeds in
associating with your unprotected AP and manages to get an address in
your LAN, he might not be able to SSH into your server, but he can abuse
your Internet connection, which might be even more harmful.

Of course, he has to discover my laptop's MAC (which he can probably do with an ARP flood), spoof it (easy on Linux, dunno on Windows), and DOS my 'top (probably hard, unless he has a botnet).

So yes, my network is insecure. But then again, so is any network
connected to the outside world. :)

But I think my layer of making shite difficult for the bad guys is
enough to ensure that the wardriver chooses one of these nice networks
instead:

: jmglov@example.com; sudo iwlist eth1 scan
eth1      Scan completed :
         Cell 01 - Address: 00:16:CF:69:78:6D
                   ESSID:"YBBUser"
                   Protocol:IEEE 802.11bg
                   Mode:Master
                   Channel:3
                   Encryption key:off
                   Bit Rate:1Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:2Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:5.5Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:6Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:9Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:11Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:12Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:18Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:24Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:36Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:48Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:54Mb/s
                   Quality:100/0  Signal level:-20 dBm  Noise level:-256 dBm
                   Extra: Last beacon: 51ms ago
         Cell 02 - Address: 00:A0:B0:4E:98:8B
                   ESSID:"washima"
                   Protocol:IEEE 802.11g
                   Mode:Master
                   Channel:6
                   Encryption key:off
                   Bit Rate:1Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:2Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:5.5Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:6Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:9Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:11Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:12Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:18Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:24Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:36Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:48Mb/s
                   Bit Rate:54Mb/s
                   Quality:79/0  Signal level:-50 dBm  Noise level:-256 dBm
                   Extra: Last beacon: 7ms ago

--
Cheers,
Josh