Mailing List Archive

Re: [tlug] Javascript support groups that are beginner friendly

No, this is typical. Javascript was designed as a quick-and-easy
language, and historically it suffered from so many cross-browser
quirks. In that situation if you were a serious contributor the
chances were 9/10 that you would be rewarded with some newbie loser
going "wah wah but it doesn't work in IE wah wah ...". Also, several
solutions exist for a lot of problems. Noise overcame signal.

So, that's the historical reason.

I mostly use the MDC (Mozilla Developer Center) reference pages
(https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Javascript) when I forget something.
And these days, I really recommend using libraries such as
prototype.js or jQuery. They've really changed the game. They smooth
over a lot of browser incompatibilities but more importantly reduce
line count and improve readability.

Feel free to shoot me a specific question outside the tlug mailing list.

Akira

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 3:59 PM, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
> TLUG,
>
> In the last few days I've been trying to get some answers on how to
> create "touchmove" event handlers in Javascript.
>
> I've posted in about five different Javascript forums, and got
> absolutely no response so far. Most forums I deal with, such as PHP,
> MySQL, and CSS, give at least some kind of response within a day, even
> if it's to tell me to RTFM, or that my question is too
> stupid/simple/wrong for the list.
>
> Are Javascript programmers particularly shy or cliquish?
>
> Over the next couple weeks, I'm going to have quite a few JavaScript
> questions, so I'm looking for a forum or mailing list where hopefully
> people will talk to me.
>
> Can anyone recommend any?
>
> Thank you for any advice.
>

> --