Mailing List Archive

Re: [tlug] Need advice to choose a router

On 10.11.2009, at 07:47, Yann Ubuntu wrote:

>> From: Jianshi Huang <jianshi.huang@example.com>
>> Subject: Re: [tlug] Need advice to choose a router
>> Hi Yann,
>>
>> Maybe searching on kakaku.com is a good idea.
>>
>> http://kakaku.com/pc/wireless-router/
>>
>> I'm using AirStation NFINITI HighPower Giga WZR-HP-G300NH, it works perfect.
>>

> Hi TLUG,
> thanks again for all your advices. Sorry but i have another "noob's question" :)
>
> I am now going forward and saw a 7000Y model at BigCamera: a Fonera2.0
> which looks good (i need b/g wireless for 2 ubuntu9.04 pc) but I am
> wondering if it will be ok because Wikipedia
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FON#Fonera_2.0n) says that it does not
> have a built-in modem and needs to be connected to a dsl-modem or
> router. ???

This is a router. There are routers and routers with a built-in modem. You can configure the router then if it connects to the internet via PPPoE or if it gets an IP via DHCP (other possibilities are not popping into my mind right now but I think).
I have for example one modem to which one WLAN-router is connected (WRT-54GL w/ DD-WRT). This router is my "gateway", is the DHCP-server, does the NAT-traversal and creates a B/G-WLAN. To this router is a second WLAN-router connected (Apple Time Capsule) which only works as a bridge, creates a pure Draft-N-WLAN and works as a NAS.

> For the moment I can access internet via my LAN cable directly to the
> wall connection , and without any router. (i enter my NTT
> login/password in the "DSL" tab of NetworkManager).
> Does this mean that my flat's building has a central "dsl-modem"
> behind my wall (shared between all flats) ?

There is some central connection to the network (there are not only dsl-modems). Your router would get an IP via DHCP probably and would create a private subnet for your home network.

> if yes , does this mean I can use this "fonera" model ?

Yes.

Niels

Home | Main Index | Thread Index