Mailing List Archive

Re: [tlug] 2014-05-10 Linux Quiz

On 2014年05月11日 15:23, Bruno Raoult wrote:
> I will use this quizz in my Brittany LUG, with your permission.

Please feel free to use it!

> First question ("rm"):
> I would add (and prefer) "rm ./-r". The "--" syntax is specific to GNU rm.

Great point!

> Question about ".??*". To show the difference, we could add a ".1"
> file the the "ls -d .?*" command (where both .. and .1 are excluded.

Sounds good!

> The "find" question: Would you think useful to show the difference
> between "-exec {} +" and "-exec {} \;" ? for instance:
> find . -exec echo {} +
> find . -exec echo {} \;

Sounds good!

Actually, I somehow had not been aware of the `+` syntax for find, so this
was one of the things that I learned through the quiz. :)

> The "killall" page does not have "killall" command. Is it on purpose?

We talked about it, but I forgot to add it to the page.

I tried to use titles that would not give away the answers, and that title
was an attempt at humor.

> About redirection, but maybe going too far, we could add something
> about temporary stdout redirection, without loosing the handler, in a
> script (bash only):
> For instance "exec 3>&1 >${TMPFILE}" and "exec 1>&3 3>&-".

Sounds good!

> It is important to say that some questions are for bash only.

I think so too.

> The presentation is already so heavy, I wonder if basic "test" could
> be added ("if", etc...). Including the bashisms "["/"[[" and "test"
> command. Or maybe a second slide-show only about scripting.

There are many questions that could be added...

> PS. Would it be possible to have the document (I don't know in which
> format it was written) somewhere so we could directly edit it? A wiki,
> for example. Or writable document.

TLUG's wiki is rarely used, but it is still functioning.  I just added a
few pages:

* http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/Linux_Quiz
* http://www.tlug.jp/wiki/Linux_Quiz:Questions

I added the questions already covered as well as some that were not
covered.  I have more questions that I hope to add later, when I have more
time.

All: Please feel free to add or improve questions/content!

Note that the original format was a custom format that allowed me to edit
the presentation live [1].

Cheers,

Travis

-----

[1] The format I used was mostly Markdown, but with custom comment syntax
that allowed me to show the questions and then uncomment parts of answers
as appropriate, editing them when needed.  Those customizations were
implemented in sed.  The resulting Markdown was translated to LaTeX using
Pandoc and custom Beamer templates.  The translated LaTeX code was then
filtered with sed again in order to customize a few things, and the final
LaTeX code was rendered to PDF using XeTeX.

Getting it to work on my workstation was straightforward, but my MacBook
Pro laptop proved to be quite a challenge.  (In order to avoid a long
rant, let me just say: Never buy Apple products when at all possible!)  I
ended up presenting using two separate virtual machines (both running
Debian Wheezy), one for the projector and one for my laptop display.  They
were connected via a password-less SSH key, and I had to write a program
to control the slides on the projector from my display VM (using xdotool
to simulate keypresses) in order to get around Apple stupidity.
Unfortunately, the overly complicated setup made it difficult to do live
demos, which would have been easy on my (now broken) Thinkpad.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index