Mailing List Archive

Re: [tlug] Hardware Problem: Swap Power Supply

CL wrote:

> jep200404 wrote:
> > CL wrote:
> >
> >> I think I have developed a need for a new motherboard ...
> >
> > A bad motherboard is just one of the possibilities for your grief.
>
> You're just trying to cheer me up, I can tell.

Glad to oblige.

> > So, try booting a Knoppix 5.1.1 CD (even though below you
> > swapped the HDD successfully).
>
> Same issue with no video.  I tried a Knoppix CD as well as a Kubuntu and
> Xubuntu Live CD but nothing got the video working.

OK. Sounds like it's hard to avoid pointing one's finger at
hardware.

> > Also try swapping the power supply.
>
> Good idea.  Will try that in the a.m. ... or next time I am left alone ...

Any luck getting the time?

> > Visually inspect the motherboard and power supply for bulged capacitors.
> > This is _still_ a common problem.
>
> Yes, I did that.  I also went over all of them with an illuminated
> magnifying glass.

Good. The only surprise is that you checked the power supply caps
but did not try swapping the power supply.

> > Be sure to disconnect your power supply from the power input ...

> Ummm ... I also wrench my own motorcycles, so know to be wary of caps.

... and to adjust the valves while everything is cool in the morning.

Home | Main Index | Thread Index