Mailing List Archive

[tlug] Support for less common I/O boards

Dave M G wrote:

> I thought I had. I had researched TV tuner card support before
> purchasing it. I came across many sites, including the Hauppage site
> itself, which said drivers were available and watching TV in Linux with
> a Hauppauge card was common.

> What I am guilty of, though, is not reading deeply enough. I had naively
> thought that "support" meant relatively straightforward installation.
> However, it turned out that "support" meant "possible, after much effort".

Yup.

Since most Linux users don't watch TV on their Linux box,
there is little urgency for distros to support TV cards,
so you got stuck with the full burden of using them.

You didn't do bad buying an ivtv card.

It's just the nature of using less common I/O on an OS that the
manufacturer doesn't support, that you get stuck with the
installation work.

By the way, that a new kernel can break things, is scary for
businesses, so when they settle on an OS, they want it to be
supported for years, without major upgrades. RHEL (and Centos)
do that.

Jim

Home | Main Index | Thread Index